At the navel of the earth
Once upon a time the myth goes, Zeus dispatched two eagles from the ends of universe and entrusted them with finding the centre of the world, and they Meet above Delphi, the ‘navel of the Earth’, as it came to be called, a spiritual and Religious centre and symbol of the unity of ancient Greece.
Geography does not suffice to describe the feelings of serenity and awe-inspiring majesty emanated by the landscape. The so-called Delphic landscape surpasses our mere mortal descriptions. Delphi, which has been included on the UNESCO World Heritage List and has been designated one of the ‘holy places’ of the world, forms part of the Prefecture of Phoecis and has a population roughly numbering 2,500 residents. The former village that used to exist on the site, dating bak to medieval times was named Kastri, and was built right above the buried archaeological site. However, when the first systematic excavations of the site commenced in 1892 under the French Archaeological School of Athens, most of the property and homes of its residents were demolished and relocated a few hundred metres to the west, concurrently renaming the old village of Kastri to Delphi. Impressive findings were discovered during the excavations, among which about 3,000 inscriptions, which give us insights into various aspects of ancient civic life